The church: St Margaret
- St Margaret's church has the only round Saxon tower in the benefice.
Part of the nave walls are also Saxon; other parts of the church are
14th century and later.
- Regular worship was conducted here up to and including Easter Sunday,
1959. That night the tower collapsed, and the church remained unrepaired
for twenty years. Then, with close co-operation between Lady Prince-Smith
and the Norfolk
Churches Trust, assisted by voluntary helpers, the restoration of the body of the church was made possible, leaving the ruined tower outside.
- More information about the church and its renovation can be found
in a leaflet; you can download
it by clicking here (Adobe Reader PDF format, 600KB).
- The church is now technically redundant, but is used for occasional
here for Simon Knott's report on this church.
- The village of Morton-on-the-Hill consists largely of the Morton Hall
estate, together with a few houses on both sides of the Fakenham Road
as it approaches Great Witchingham, and also along The Street, just
to the north.
- There is a total population of around 85.
Click here to return to the list of churches in the